Monday, July 7, 2008

Bitty Bet on Geese

Bet's been here since, I believe, March. Ish. She and I are really starting to come to an understanding, I think. She's now almost done with her training and in fact is going next week for her "on the job" training and, I hope, her forever home!

Bet lost her last three homes because she has a bossy personality and way too much energy to burn, and it's a little hard to get her to focus on anything for more than 2.7 seconds. Training her has been all about walking the line between a serious "my way or the highway" attitude, and trying to show her the rules of the game. Every dog teaches me something and Bet's lesson to me has been how to play this balance.

The idea here is to show her the trick that these farm geese do, that I call "lame duck." One goose from the group lures the dog away while the family group heads for safe water. Finally at the end Bet gets that she's supposed to stay with the big group! Yay for Bet!

I'm going to try to embed this thing.


Holy moley, it worked, another milestone in my blogging life! There's more where that came from, mostly Tedlet videos, so I hope I'll have some time later to post those.

As the philosopher said, "Ta-ta-for-now!"

No comments: