Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I sold off all but nine of my adult ewes this year. The idea was, that we weren't going to have much pasture so I wanted to keep flock growth to a minimum.

A little sheepy math here:

Normally, my lambing rate is about 110%.

I usually have about 50% ewe lambs (females, the "keepers").

I usually lose, to old age or the occasional accident or disease, or culling (selling off ewes that don't meet my breeding standards), about 25% of my grown up ewes, each year.

I normally grow out my ewe lambs and keep from 10 to 25% of them, depending on how many I need.

This year, for some reason, my ewes are lambing at 214% now. That means seven ewes (so far, two more to go) had 15 babies.

Of those, ELEVEN are girls (ewes).

I could have a bomb blow up every adult ewe I own (God forbid) and I'd still have nearly twice as many ewes as I had a month ago.

Do these girls know something I don't? I'm hoping they know that someone nice is planning to purchase the 30 acres next door and let us lease it. tongue Otherwise I'll either be culling a lot of really super lambs bawl , or else looking for a remote lease somewhere.

I'm not COMPLAINING. I'm just amazed and wondering what's in store here. laugh

No comments: