Sunday, February 15, 2009

Just Figured It Out

In a previous post I puzzled over the meaning of the zillions of ewe lambs we've been blessed with this year. Over Valentine's Day dinner it hit me. We are ready for the next step in our three tier program - we now have a nice flock of mules - my dream, "Southeastern mules" - version 1.0. Probably then I will only breed our Blue Face Leicester ram to a few of these older ewes this upcoming fall, and instead find a terminal sire sometime over the summer. If I don't find anything really outstanding (I'd like to find a production Columbia or British-style Suffolk from a Southeastern flock), I'll simply use my first tier ram on his half-sisters and aunts.

That solves the population problem and it's very exciting. My three tier program's been ten years in the making. It will be nice to start judging the merits of these young mules and planning what steps to take to improve on them. I've already got some ideas . . .

No comments: