Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Do No Harm

I haven't posted in a while because I'm still unsure what direction we'll take here. I've been reading various blogs. Some I've enjoyed greatly, and I've taken note of what I liked about them. Some have not interested me as much, though sometimes the subject matter is a topic that appeals to me. Some have downright horrified me, and I've given them a wide berth after reading enough to ascertain that it doesn't fit in my standard of things that should take up my time.

. . .Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. (Phil 4:8 NIV)

Not only do I want to follow this in my own life, but I want to offer something that fits in this guideline.

I've seen blogs from people who seem to delight in hurting others. I cannot understand this. One person, one life - we have only one chance here to make a difference one way or another. Why be one who is adding to the hurt in the world?

Obviously I am a theist. More specifically, I believe Francis Schaeffer's manifesto that "He is there, and He is not silent." I think we have a responsibility to reflect God here in this plane of existence, of space and time.

Thus, I'm seeking a purpose that not only refrains from harm, but also will elevate readers in some small way.

I know what I don't like, as detailed above. Plus, there are blogs that inspire me to move on quickly but for no reason other than boredom. I greatly fear being one of those myself!

What I do like are blogs that are humorous, and also provide some service, whether it's information on a topic, or recipes (yay for Pioneer Woman!), or just really wholesome entertainment (yay for Pioneer Woman again!).

All of this being a long winded way of saying, I still have no idea what to say here, yet! And, I just realized to my chagrin, that this is a blog about blogs - even worse, about my blog. Arrgh. Does that make this post a metablog?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post, Becca. Hey, it's your blog - if you wanna blog about your blog you can do that. I'm sure you'll find your direction soon enough. Or you could just take my road - no real direction, just wherever the day leads me. lol

Becca Shouse said...

I like your blog! It's intimidating, so many nice blogs that make me laugh or brighten my day. I want to be like that. I think I've got my plan now though - hee!

Jen in SLO said...

I like your blog, too. You've got so much knowledge, I'm sure you'll find your voice soon enough.

I love how you came up with the name of your farm, btw.

(Jen from ODO)

Jen in SLO said...

I just realized it's not clear who I wrote my last comment to - I like both your blogs. LOL They're in my google/reader subscriptions. :)